Saturday, December 23, 2017

MAC 168 Large Angled Contour Brush Review




There's a nasty little rumor going around that MAC is going to be discontinuing all their natural hair brushes and going completely synthetic. Well not a rumor, it's confirmed. Which really sucks. Natural hair brushes are IT for powder products. Synthetics just don't do it. I don't know why MAC is switching, supposedly to go "cruelty free" but I don't think that's right. I think synthetic brushes are cheaper to manufacture. So they can probably save money. I wonder if the new brushes are going to dupes of natural faves. Will they be replacing cult favorite 217 with synthetic hair? IDK. But anyway, on to the review.

MAC 168 claims:
The 168 Large Angled Contour Brush is ideal for the expert application of cheek contour. It features fibers that form a buffed edge and are soft and firmly bundled. M·A·C professional brushes are hand-sculpted and assembled using the finest quality materials. They feature wood handles and nickel-plated brass ferrules.

This is my favorite blush brush. Favorite. If I only had to pick one it would be this one. It's a soft, small, natural goat haired brush that applies the perfect amount of diffused color without looking overdone. This brush almost does the work for you.


It also works great for contour. Applying small amounts of powder. You can use it for highlight. And bronzing. It's very versatile.

It's the only angled brush in my collection. I had a cheap angled brush years and years ago but the quality was horrific. I think it was Cherish brand. No comparison between that brush and this one. 


I've had this brush now for at least three years and it still looks pretty great. It doesn't get heavy use because I rotate it with my other brushes so they can all get some love, but it's holding up pretty well and if it lasts for years for makeup artists, I know it will go the long distance for me.

It took me awhile to like the MAC brush design but I do really like them. They have wooden handles, with nickel ferrules. They look professional. And this particular brush is hand-crafted in Japan.

It will cost you $35 dollars and I think it was worth it. Although I wouldn't want to pay it again. I'll just keep this one forever and ever.

What do you think abut MAC discontinuing their natural brushes? Do you have the 168? How do you like it?


No comments:

Post a Comment