Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties

I love making recipes from books. Especially foods that are basically a figment of the authors imagination. Like....pumpkin pasties. I have always wanted to try them when I read the books. Along with Butter Beer. I could skip on Bertie Botts every flavor beans. I wouldn't mind trying the chocolate frogs. Or maybe I would. Frogs kind of gross me out. 

But back to pumpkin pasties. I've been cooking through the Let's Eat Fiction blog. And this recipe is a winner. And that is coming from someone who is not even a pumpkin fan. I prefer sweet potato. This made me a bit of a pumpkin fan. 

So first...I started with a fresh pumpkin. Which I didn't take a pic of. It's pumpkin season, and every year I always pick up a pumpkin, I cook it and puree it, and then stick it in the freezer. Just in case I need pumpkin in the future for something. This time I had a recipe and so it didn't make it to the freezer. 

So first I whipped up the dough. Almost like the recipe but instead of margarine I used organic shortening (palm oil) to avoid the nasty trans fats. So just flour, butter, shortening, salt, and ice cold water and you can whip up the flakiest crust ever. I think I am going to pin this, especially for the crust recipe. 

Then I made the filling. The recipe advised canned-but I just used the same amount of the fresh stuff. And then you just addd the cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg, ginger and sugar. It was quite spiced up. Just how I like it.

Then just assemble, brush with the egg yolk /milk mixture and bake. 

And yum. This made a ton of filling. I had enough for a whole other batch. And some leftover that I just mixed into some oatmeal for breakfast. For a bit of pumpkin oatmeal. Why not?

Click the link to check out the recipe for yourself.


And....to go with my pumpkin pasties, I finished reading the 7th book! I think it's my favorite of all the Harry Potter books. I almost forgot I owned it. I found it in the back of my closet. I think I bought it when it first came out. 


And now I'm reading Les Miserables (a very long book). I'm making myself read it before I read the Cursed Child book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment